Friday, December 11, 2009

Look to the JOY Set Before You...

Every step that we take in God may require us to lay down some things.  We are learning about this in church and prayer.  God is showing me that I shouldn't focus on what He is wanting me to lay down, but instead to focus on where He is taking me and the JOY set before me.  Really, what could be so important for us to hold on to that would be better than God's plan for our life?  NOTHING!  God is so good and if I really trust Him, then I will be able to lay down the things He is telling me to lay down.  It's for my benefit anyway.

In Hebrews 12:2 it says that, "...Jesus, for the joy that was set before Him, endured the cross, despising and ignoring the shame, and now is seated at the right hand of God."  Jesus is our example, and He laid down something that none of us could imagine laying down:  His life.  He was perfect in every way and had never sinned and yet He laid down His flawless, sinless life for the JOY that was set before Him.  He was always pleasing the Father and He was reward minded.  He sowed His life in faith, believing that He would reap a family!  Me and You are part of that family now, because Jesus laid something down.

It goes on in Hebrews 12:3 to say, "Just think of Him Who endured from sinners such grievous opposition and bitter hostility against Himself (reckon up and consider it all in comparison with your trials), so that you may not grow weary or exhausted, losing heart and relaxing or fainting in your minds."  We are to compare what we may be having to lay down to what Jesus had to lay down.  There is NO COMPARISON!  We have grace to walk in the place God has called us to walk in.  That means we have the ability to lay down ANYTHING that He tells to lay down!

We must be obedient.  The very salvation of others could depend on it.  Let's look to that; the JOY set before us.  This is how Jesus was able to lay down His life.  Let's follow His example!

4 comments:

ps said...

Great post Landon. I love what the Lord is showing us because He is interested in growing us. Our greatest days are right ahead of us!

Mom said...

Really great post, Landon. I am so grateful for your "inspiration"! There's nothing more precious than for a mother to know that her children walk with the LORD.

dar said...

Ditto, ditto and DITTO!

Beckypdj said...

Landon, Landon, Landon, I've read this post so many times. Each time I want to comment, but this post is filled with so much good stuff, how could my comment do it justice??

I do know the more I focus on God and what He wants me to do, the more stuff I am laying down and not even realizing those things are gone until later. God is good and faithful.

p.s. Hobby Lobby is a wonderful store......and they are closed on Sunday