Monday, March 23, 2009

I'm Sorry Hammies

I can't believe how naive I was when I thought that 40 minute games with a short bench would be feasible in the Gary Oden Memorial Basketball Tournament. Four games, forty minutes long, with only one bench player equals running out of gas and being mean to your muscles.

Here are a few quotes from some of my teammates the next day:

"I've got muscles that hurt that I didn't even know existed."

"My ribs hurt."

"Why does my butt hurt?"
"Because your glutes are connected to your hammies."
"Oohhhh. Their fine when I don't clench."
"Then don't clench."
"You try it." (grimacing while clenching)

"My neck cramped last night."

From two guys: "Everything hurt from my neck down."

I am no longer 16. I'm 24 years old, and though still young by most standards, I realize I need to get my butt in a gym and apologize to my body. I'm sorry hammies and glutes. If I was in shape you wouldn't feel this way. At least I didn't have to feel like this and stave off a knee to the head in the first game..........way to take it like a man Nate. I was real glad to see your eyes again.

Regardless, the tournament was a lot of fun and a good success for the first year. Our team did really well and won its first three games against the best teams but lost in the finals to one of those same teams. It was really fun and I look forward to doing it again next year. I will be prepared then.......a finely tuned athletic machine.

4 comments:

Jake said...

you guys pulled off a very successful tournament, way to go.

and this is funny stuff man...

Staci said...

Who said, "my butt hurts." That is hilarious!

Landon Parker said...

That would be me...haha...everything around the hamstring area is nice and tender.

ps said...

I wish we could have been there!!! I love the competition and I love yelling and making a big deal about everything! If you can't play that's the next best thing!!! Well done you guys!